Created in 1928 when Connecticut Light and Power (CL&P) flooded a typical rural valley bounded by the towns of Danbury, New Fairfield, Sherman, New Milford and Brookfield, Candlewood Lake is the largest lake in Connecticut. It is 11 miles long, has a shoreline of over 60 miles and is two miles at its widest point. The maximum depth is 85 feet, with an average of 29-30 feet. The name comes from New Milford’s Candlewood Mountain, named after the Candlewood saplings used as candles by early settlers.
While the Lake was still in its infancy, a group of sailing enthusiasts on the lake got together to form the Yacht Racing Association of Lake Candlewood. The Association was incorporated in 1937, and our present burgee was defined in a constitution. In 1961, the Yacht Racing Association of Lake Candlewood officially became the Candlewood Yacht Club.
Racing continues to be conducted off Bootlegger Island.& ; Over the years, club members have been active with many class boats including Flying Dutchman, Flying Terns, Thistles, Geminis, Flying Scots, and Cruising boats. The fleets have spawned top-ranking sailors and national officers in their respective class associations.
Located on the north shore of Turtle Bay, opening to the widest point of the lake, Candlewood Yacht Club is ideally situated for all sailing and swimming activities.