It may surprise you to learn that the first “River View Yacht Club” home was the old Sacramento River Steamer the “Cherokee.” The old paddle wheel was built and launched in August 9, 1912 out of the west Oakland shipyard. She was used to carry freight from San Francisco to Sacramento. As more modern ships were developed, the “Cherokee” was given to the City of Sacramento then some time later sold to the Sacramento Yacht Club and again sold to private owners. The “Cherokee” changed hands many times before being acquired from the Army and Navy Officers Club in 1954.
Earl Moore was the first River View Yacht Club Commodore. River View Yacht Club was accepted for membership in the PICYA on December 14, 1955. First dues were paid in January 1956.
The winter of 1966 was very hard on the “Cherokee” (River View Yacht Club) when massive storms washed the pilings away for the old steamer and her hull was damaged beyond repair. In November of 1967 the “Cherokee” was toasted during the last cocktail party aboard and was torched by the local fire department. The “Cherokee” is gone, but River View Yacht Club lives on!
After the demise of the Cherokee, the Club had to meet in several different places from 1967 to 1970. This was not the best of situations as the club suffered the loss of many members.
Fortunately for the Club, River View had retained a controlling first mortgage and foreclosed with a nest egg to be applied to a new club house. With these funds, the club made a successful bid on a 62-foot vessel that formerly served as the Elkhorn Ferry. In 1971, the Elkhorn Ferry was brought to Island Marina. After dismantling the superstructure, construction of the clubhouse began.
Then in 1976 the new clubhouse was brought to Bud’s Bait Shop in Freeport where it remained until 2000. At that time, the members decided to move the clubhouse once again and started looking for a new berthing spot. After a lot of research, Cliff’s Marina in Freeport was chosen to be our new home. In order to accomplish the move, it was necessary to hire 2 tugs and along with help from several club members, the clubhouse was moved a short distance to the location where it was moored for nearly eleven years.