The Royal City Yacht Club was founded October 22, 1941 with the filing of the formal Bylaws and registration as a non-profit society. The membership met at their clubhouse on Dyke Road, New Westminster on the South Arm of the Fraser River in what is now called the Royal City Marina, for 60 years! During the height of the Second World War the club remained inactive, reconvening in 1946. Eventually the clubhouse was sold and rented back to RCYC in an arrangement that prevailed until Dec 31, 2001.
For a short while an agreement was made with the Navy League to house the meetings and club paraphernalia at the Sea Cadet Base on Annacis Island. In 2002 negotiations began with Airport Yacht Club to cohabitate in their facility on the Middle Arm of the Fraser River in Richmond. By 2003 terms were reached between the parties and RCYC moved into their new home. This served us well until 2010, after which we met at a variety of venues until the present one, the Delta Golf Club, 11550 Ladner Trunk Road was decided on two years ago. This has been very successful. Our Bridge meetings are held at various personal residences.
Royal City Yacht Club continues to maintain its relationship with New Westminster, however, we also take an active roll in Delta as we support the Delta Christmas Toy Drive and we take part in the Ladner Christmas Cruise with our vessels decorated with Christmas lights and other seasonal ornaments..
An Outstation was established on Saltspring Island in 2001 at Ganges Marina. RCYC was proud to claim 100 feet of uninterrupted dock space in the heart of one of the most popular destinations in the Gulf Islands its “home away from home”! Club members enjoy daily use of their outstation and marina facilities 12 months of the year!