Activities started again in 1946, the first regatta in 1947 was held at the Naval Reserve Armory. Club meetings were held in various member’s houses. During February 1949 a suite was leased in the California Hotel. In January 1950 negotiations were opened with the City for a portion of beach for a clubhouse location. In July 1950 there was a “Bill of Sale” from the Union Oil Company for an old office building to be used for a clubhouse. The clubhouse was completed and in use by December 1951. It was in this building that the spirit shown by our Yacht Club today was generated. That building was removed in 1966 and replaced by the current facility.
The Santa Barbara Yacht Club is proud of the contributions that we make to our city, such as:
Playing host to visiting yachtsmen from all over the world and providing a facility for their comfort. Founding and sponsoring the Santa Barbara Youth Foundation and offering sailing instructions to young sailors from the Santa Barbara area. Providing a facility for the Santa Barbara Sailing Club race program. Hosting the starting point and finishing point for the Santa Barbara to King Harbor, Encinal to Santa Barbara and Santa Cruz to Santa Barbara races. These events are estimated to bring 300 yachts and up to 5,000 people to Santa Barbara. Providing direct support for the Harbor Festival and visitation of US Naval Vessels.