The idea of forming a Yacht Club was first conceived by a group of charter members. To generate interest a sailing race was organized for August 1951. The wind did not attend, but many people did. Encouraged, the organizers arranged a meeting for November at the OK Landing United Church hall. With a good attendance it was quickly decided to form a yacht club, with Dr. Hugh Campbell Brown elected Commodore, Dr. Leon Causier Vice Commodore, Horace Gailbraith legal advisor, and Austin Collins as Secretary. Another thirty signed up as founding members, each contributing a few dollars, and June 23, 1953 the Vernon Yacht Club received its charter as a society.
Meanwhile, the hunt was on for a waterfront club site. Debris from the paddlewheel era resulted in depressed values for the affected water front properties and in 1955, with the assistance of Dr. Campbell Brown, the club purchased one lot with a small building and 50 feet of lake frontage, directly across the road from the doctor’s then new house. The Campbell Brown residence remains and the VYC is the only Okanagan yacht club to own its property.
Okanagan LandingFamily Before boats could enter the water from this lot, heavy equipment on a barge was recruited to begin pulling the forest of pilings, the Commodore and two other club dignitaries wading out chest deep to set the choker cable. Unfortunately, all other members were out of town that week. A launch ramp was built in 1956 and served